Friday, January 11, 2013

I read a book: number one.

Here I am, fulfilling my resolutions a little bit at a time. I'm writing a blog post for this week, and I'm writing about the first book I read outside of school this year: Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn.


It's a rather quirky book about dictatorship societies and what would happen if we weren't allowed to use certain letters of the alphabet. The short answer: chaos, hardship, and a few laughs along the way. It's short, sweet, and to the point. Mark Dunn has my respect for such a clever read. Here's my favorite quote from the novel (when talking about the passionate chaos that is language):

"Words upon words, piled high, toppling over, thoughts popping, correspondence and conversation overflowing" 

I'm in a young adult literature class this semester, and we've been talking about the stages of literary appreciation this week. It's so interesting to look at a chart and have it explain everything about reading that you never knew you never knew (if that makes any sense). Basically, they break it down into ages and reasons for reading. Getting lost in a story, finding your identity, exploring the world, aesthetic appreciation... Reading can do so many amazing things for many different kinds of people. Reading fiction, especially, opens up a new perspective. There's just something about connecting with a character and following that character through times of trials and times of happiness that provides meaning in a way that non-fiction usually can't. For that reason, it makes me sad that this (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/what-should-children-read/) is happening.

Read it. I'll talk about it a little later. Just remember: I'm studying to be an English teacher.

cheers,
ka.

No comments:

Post a Comment